Back To School Information (2020-21)
Frequently Asked Questions
Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools, in collaboration with all other Dubois County School Districts worked to develop a framework to safely and appropriately reopen for the 2020-2021 school year.
It is our intent to return to in-person instruction on Wednesday, August 12, 2020 if state and local data permit. While a public health emergency exists, students may opt for a COVID online academy instead of in-person instruction.
This FAQ is to provide more in-depth information to GJCS families and will be updated regularly to address questions as they arise.
- Will there be an online option available?
- Will the online experience be similar to what we did from March to May 2020?
- If someone commits to e-Learning or in-person to start the year, will they be allowed to move later to the alternate option?
- What about sharing of supplies?
- How will classrooms be set up differently to reduce possible spread?
- What about passing periods?
- What about band, choir, orchestra?
- Will our substitute teachers follow the same guidelines?
- If a teacher is out with symptoms, will a sub be used for 14 days?
- What about students who receive special education services?
- Do students/staff have to wear masks?
- What can we do to keep schools open and keep children/staff safe?
- What are typical COVID-19 related symptoms?
- Emphasize hand washing at home and at school.
- Will students and staff be required to be temperature checked before entering school?
- When can an individual who tested positive for COVID-19 return to school?
- How will clinics be handled?
- What additional cleaning protocols will be in place?
- What about the cafeteria?
- How about recess?
- Will volunteers/visitors/guests be allowed at school?
- What about common water fountains?
- Are there going to be any special policies in place if you travel outside the state for a vacation?
- Will the YMCA continue to offer After School Care at the elementary level?
- I needed to enroll new students. How would I enroll them this school year?
- Are CTE shared CTE classes going to occur?
- Is preschool at Jasper Elementary School still occurring?
- Does the EdOptions Academy begin August 12?
- How will student absences be handled?
- When/Where do we determine in-person or EdOptions Academy?
- Are computers provided to students opting for the EdOptions Academy?
- How will I get information about what bus my child will ride?
- Is marching band considered an extra-curricular activity?
- How can I return vaccination information to the school?
- What is the earliest students may be dropped off at school if I decide to drive them?
- How will assigned seats be determined in the cafeteria?
Each respective school will be providing protocols within the framework and operating phases. These are currently being completed and will be communicated to students and staff upon completion.